Tuesday, May 26, 2009

For Rose: My Favorite Ketchup

Cooking is one grand experiment for me... sometimes I try something because I have a craving to indulge, and sometimes I try it because it sounds cool. My interest in ketchup came about when I had a craving for french fries. While reading french fries recipes, I came across one with ketchup recipe attached and thought, how come I never thought of that? Whenever I can I would prefer to make condiments myself... I'm rather against weird chemicals in my food, and this was a great way for me to avoid them once again. But, time for real talk - do this on a nice day when you can open your house up. You are about to boil onions, jalapenos, vinegar, oj and tomatoes. For a long time. Tyler hid in our bedroom. It was painful. Worth it, but painful. This is a really big batch, so I took little jars to my girls at work for them to share with their families on Easter. It was a smash. (Everyone has brunch, and it just begs to be eaten with brunchy potatoes!) Also really delicious on a meatloaf. You may see a ketchup version 2 soon involving dried plums. Mmm hmm. Plums.

2 Tbsp. infused canola oil
1 large white onion, finely chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 c. each red wine and apple cider vinegar (this is a great place for infused vinegar, if you have that kind of thing laying around)
juice from 1 small or 1/2 large orange
zest of juiced orange
1 c. brown sugar, pref. dark
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. mustard, whatever kind you like
1 28 oz. can fire roasted tomatoes

In a large pot, heat the oil over medium to medium-high heat. Add the onion and saute a few minutes. Add the pepper and garlic and saute a few minutes more. When vegetables are soft, add the rest of the ingredients. Stir until combined well. Bring to a boil and cook for about half an hour, until the liquid is reduced by just more than half. Using a immersion blender, puree the ketchup until smooth. Remember that hot liquids expand when blending, so make sure you have enough room in your pan to avoid an accident. Place in a non-reactive container and store for up to three weeks.

This recipe is property of Domestic Prowess and may not be reprinted without written permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment